Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Biography-Francisco Garcia

When I was 5 years old I was inspired by Marvel cartoons such as X-Men and Spider-Man. Growing up in Los Angeles inspired me with it's Chicano murals and graffiti in the urban city. As a child I recall my Mother being my inspiration. She'd take me out to the streets to sell clothes and art from a baby stroller. I am blessed to have such a strong women to call my Mom who has taught me to be creative and never give up on my dreams. It wasn't until I moved to Phoenix, Arizona when I was 16 that I started creating urban art. It's humble beginnings started with graffiti, and later it began to evolve after I gave my heart to Jesus Christ. I went from a graffiti vandal causing damage in the streets, to a community artist for social change. I have been blessed with internships in non-profits such as Las Artes, Public Allies, ACYR, and churches. I studied abroad all over Mexico in the summer of 2008. I studied the 3 muralist, the history of Mexico, pyramids, and many art museums. I also received the 2008 Eric Fischl Vanguard Award in the Phoenix Art Museum and the Eric Fischl Scholarship in 2007. In 2009 I was nominated by the National Youth Employment Coalition (an organization in Washington DC) to speak to congressman about why art is important in our communities, how Obama's money helped the non profits, and the dream act. I have been mentored by Judy Budzine from Cultural Art Coalition, and Martin Moreno from Las Artes. They have been great examples in my life and have helped me trail blaze the way. I am currently working with youth at risk, churches, non profits, undocumented students, painting murals about immigration issues to educate people and empower the community for social change. I am currently a member of Ariztlan Studio, ALAC (Arizona Latino Art Cultural Center), Calaca, Cultural Art Coalition,and Dream Act Coalition. My art has been featured in the New Times, Arizona Republic, ASU Newspaper, CNN, Fox, Arizona Informant, La Opinion and KTAR radio. I was fortunate to hang art in Arizona Historical Museum, ASU West, ASU Tempe, ASU Downtown, Holgas Gallery, 2345 Gallery, Pravus, and ALAC ART Museum. Proverbs 3:5-6 In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make all your paths straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment